30 Sep 2011
Rimbun Dahan artists residencies | Georgetown, Malaysia
Hotel Penaga is a luxury boutique hotel in Georgetown, Penang which is due to open in January 2011. It is intended to support ongoing activities at Rimbun Dahan, and also to develop its own arts residency program. For more information, see the Hotel Penaga website.
The duration of the residency is between 1 and 3 months, depending on the strength of the proposal.
The residency will provide:
- A room in Hotel Penaga and breakfast at the hotel for the duration of the stay
- Studio space in Georgetown
- Living and materials allowance of RM 1,000 per month
- Air fare (for Southeast Asian artists)
The artist is expected to:
- Actively produce work
- Host open studio evenings several times a week to interact with hotel guests and develop a broader appreciation of the artist's practice
- Contribute at least one work created during the course of the residency to the permanent collection of Hotel Penaga
This residency is available only for artists from Southeast Asia (Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei, Vietnam, Burma, Laos and Cambodia) and Australia. Artists who have previously been resident at Rimbun Dahan are eligible to apply.
Applications are accepted for these residencies throughout the year.
See website for further details of how to apply.
Rimbun Dahan runs a range of artists' residencies to encourage visual artists, writers and other creative individuals to explore and develop their artistic work. Financed by the architectural practice of Hijjas Kasturi Associates Sdn. the residencies range from all-inclusive sponsorship of allowance, materials, accommodation, studios and final exhibitions to more limited residences providing accommodation and studios only:
- Malaysia-Australia Visual Artist Residency (year-long, fully funded, final exhibition)
- Shorter Residencies (1-3 months, funded for Southeast Asian artists only)
- Choreographer's Residency (3 months, funded for Southeast Asian artists, optional final performance)
- Residencies at Hotel Penaga in Penang (1-3 months, funded for Southeast Asian artists only)
Established in 1994, the program has hosted almost 100 individuals who have benefited from the unique atmosphere of Rimbun Dahan to build their own artistic practice.
Rimbun Dahan has a number of different styles of accommodation which is provided to artists according to their specific needs and availability.
Please note that Rimbun Dahan provides residencies for artists from Australia and Southeast Asia (consisting of the countries of Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei, Vietnam, Burma, Laos and Cambodia) only.
08 Sep 2022
12 Jan 2016