Utrecht - RAUM Makers in Residence call
OPEN CALL: MAKERS IN RESIDENCE 2018 - REINTERPRETING THE LIVING CITY THROUGH ART & DESIGN IN PUBLIC SPACE. A call from RAUM for makers - visual artists, architects, designers, social designers… to present proposals for a public exhibition square in Utrecht, Netherlands.
We are RAUM. A public exhibition square in Utrecht of more than 40,000 m2: Berlijnplein. We use the power of art and design to involve people in the living, growing city. With makers and audiences we are building a program of installations and events that pique our curiosity. Together we look for new insights for a multifaceted and multicolored city through cultural experiment. Our maker-in-residency program gives you, as a maker, the space to represent your vision of that living city, in a grand work in a public space.
In 2018, we have sufficient room for another two to three makers. In 2017 we made a start with our first makers-in-residency where, among others, visual artist Leonard van Munster and food designer Chloé Rutzerveld were selected. In 2018 we will work with Overtreders W, Studio RNDR (formerly LUSTlab), Sacha van den Haak & Anton Lamberg and Elmo Vermijs & Richard Vijgen.
What do we offer you?
- A workplace (Utrecht makers) or residential workplace (national and international makers) for up to three months in the Makershuis of RAUM.
- A stipend of € 300 (self-employed) or € 400 (collective) per week if you are at least two days a week in residence (read: in the Makershuis). This stipend is intended for subsistence, like for instance groceries, travel costs from home and from the Makershuis to suppliers or appointments, and so on. For example: if you work on your project for a total of four weeks in the Makershuis, you will receive € 1200 as a freelancer or € 1600 as a collective. If you work at home, you will not receive a stipend.
- A fee of up to 20% (ex VAT) within your total budget.
- An open area of 40,000 m2 where your work and projects you create and produce in this period can be exhibited. On the grounds of RAUM (around the Makershuis) or on the Berlin square. Note: RAUM is a public space and therefore always open!
- A reimbursement of material and production costs of the work you create, produce and / or organize up to € 40,000, excluding VAT.
- A (shared) workshop where you can use tools, machines and equipment at a low renting price.
- An involved RAUM crew, assistance with production, critical reflection in the research process, events and activities that you can play a role in. And finally, a large network of key figures in the city and environment who like to give input and help (residents, local cultural institutions, etc.).
- Publicity (press promotion, social media, etc.).
Proposal deadline: February 18, 2018