Netherlands | Jan van Eyck 2022 residencies call
Jan van Eyck’s annual Call for Applications is now open! Artists, writers, curators, architects, and designers ranging from graphic and fashion to food and social design, are welcome to apply for an 11-month residency starting in November 2022.
As a multi-disciplinary post-academic institute, the Jan van Eyck Academie (Maastricht, NL) is committed to exploring the agency, roles, and civic significance of art, design and other creative practices in relation to the climate crisis, environmental breakdown, and their manifold effects. This institutional focus aims at creating a common-ground that embraces a diversity of practices and allows for a multitude of voices.
The academie offers residency programmes to those who wish to broaden their artistic horizons and develop their art practice in depth. Each participant is equipped with a private studio, can count on the guidance of our advisers and make use of the expertise of our library and Labs – Photography & Audiovisual, Material Matters, Food, Printing & Publishing and Future Materials. The departments for Nature Research, Art & Society and Research & Education support the artists in realizing their projects in collaboration with external parties and further their artistic and academic research. Next to their individual projects, participants are encouraged to collaboratively develop an In-Lab project and to contribute to the public programme.
- Lasting 11 months, your residency will start in November 2022. Upon successful acceptance into the programme, the exact starting date of your residency will be set;
- 32 up to 35 spots are available each year;
- The enrolment fee amounts to €2,750 per residency year, excluding VAT. You will receive an invoice well before the starting date of your residency;
- Participants receive a monthly stipend of €1,000 and a working budget of €2,000 annually;
- Duos or collectives can apply with 1 project proposal for 1 residency at the Jan van Eyck. If selected, they will share 1 studio and will receive an adjusted stipend of minimum 1,5 and maximum 2 stipends. The enrolment fee has to be paid only once;
- Participants are expected to settle in Maastricht or direct surroundings (in a radius of 10 km) during their stay at the Jan van Eyck;
- The languages of communication at the academy are Dutch and English. We expect you to master the English language sufficiently to be able to converse and collaborate with fellow participants and staff members;
- The Jan van Eyck Academie is not an educational institute. Consequently, the institute does not provide degrees or certificates;
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, 1 December 2021 – 11:59 p.m. (CET)