31 Jan 2012
Villa Marguerite Yourcenar | Writer in Residence | call
Applications for the Marguerite Yourcenar writer-in-residence programme are now being accepted. The residency offers 1 to 2-month opportunities for writers to work in a calm and secluded location in the north of France.
The programme is open to European writers who already have been published professionally and are in the process of finishing a manuscript. Academic works will not be accepted.
Candidates will be informed by letter of the jury’s decisions in June 2012. The chosen candidates will be able to stay from March to November 2013.
- Three writers can be housed simultaneously at the Villa Marguerite Yourcenar. Each one is allocated an office-bedroom with personal bathroom on the first floor.
- A shared library, kitchen, computer room (with photocopier, printer and Internet access), television room and dining room are available to residents.
- The Villa Marguerite Yourcenar provides resident writers with accommodation, breakfast and evening meals, except at weekends and Bank Holidays (telephone communications and lunch are at residents’ own expense).
- Three bicycles and one car are at the residents’ disposal.
- The Conseil Général du Nord will pay for one return trip home for each resident writer.
- Resident writers will receive a grant of €60 for each day they are effectively present, amounting to 1,800 euros for a 30-day stay.
The Villa Marguerite Yourcenar will:
- Submit all applications received within the set time to a jury of European literary experts.
- Inform successful candidates several months in advance that their application has been retained and of the dates they can stay at the Villa Marguerite Yourcenar.
- Organise a monthly meeting with the public of the Nord/Pas-de-Calais region.
- Encourage encounters with local culture, editors and translators, at the writer’s request.
To apply please submit:
- Registration form
- Commitment form, dated and signed
- Typed bibliography in French (2 pages max.)
- Typed letter of motivation in French (1 page max.)
- Four copies of your last published work
- Four copies of another one of your books, representative of your artistic approach
- For authors who do not speak French, works published in French or significant extracts translated into French
- Typed summary or synopsis of the manuscript for which you are requesting the writer-in-residence place (1 page max.)
- Press reviews concerning your publications (choice of 5 articles max.)
For more information:
Villa Marguerite Yourcenar
2266 Route du Parc
tel: +33 (0)3 28 43 83 00
fax: +33 (0)3 28 43 83 05
Source: Residency Unlimited
10 Oct 2011
17 Aug 2015
06 May 2011