30 Sep 2012
Palais de Tokyo | Young Curators Season 2013 | call
Dedicated to the emergence of the newest forms of contemporary art as it is, the Palais de Tokyo sees participation in the renewal of the ecosystem of art as part of its remit. This is why it undertakes to seek out and support new players, and new directions. Thus in the summer of 2013 the Palais de Tokyo is entrusting its entire programme schedule to young curators.
Selected on the proposals they submit, the winners will bear witness to the perpetual reinvention of the issues involved in curating an exhibition, their scouting talent, and their ability to dream up new ways of relating to art. This event is likewise intended to demonstrate the dynamism of Paris and the surrounding area as part of a joint initiative involving a great many partners and institutions.
The proposed project must clearly demonstrate innovative thinking about exhibition formats. Whether it relates to a solo or a group exhibition, it must envisage occupying a surface area that can be as large as 250 sq. m. It must be capable of evolving in accordance with the technical constraints and the diversity of spaces that apply at the Palais de Tokyo. The selection will be made primarily on the basis of the inventiveness of the project, its curatorial boldness, and its relevance in the current field of creative work. Applicants can indicate a preference in regards to the typology of space best suited to their proposal. Applicants can be curators and/or artists.
The application file will consist of:
1. a statement of intent
2. an illustrated list of proposed artists (and/or works)
3. an estimated budget in euros comprising the items: production of works, transport, materials and equipment required
4. a curriculum vitae
5. an artistic documentation giving a short description of the previous curatorial projects carried out by the applicant
6. anything else likely to shed light on the proposed project
File to be forwarded before September 30, 2012
- In digital format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- As a hard copy to: Palais de Tokyo, Young Curators, 13 av du président Wilson, F-75116 Paris, France
Applicants must be under 40 years of age.
The Palais de Tokyo will bring together a jury consisting of seven curators from its team, its President, Jean de Loisy, and several suitably qualified notabilities. Following an initial selection, the applicants chosen will present their proposal to the jury in person. The traveling expenses of the applicants selected to present their proposals orally will be covered by the Palais de Tokyo. Between ten and fifteen winners will be named following this second phase.
FOLLOW-THROUGH OF THE PROJECT
Each winner will be assigned a curator as their main contact at the Palais de Tokyo and will be supported by the production service throughout the implementation of the project. The total estimate budget for the season is 500,000 euros, excluding caretaking and security, mediation and communication. Each curator selected will receive a sum of 1500 euros as a fee, not to be included in the estimated budget.
- Call for applications: beginning of June 2012
- Applications to be submitted before September 30, 2012
- Oral interviews of those selected in the first round: November 5, 2012
- Winners announced during the week of November 5, 2012
- Exhibition: June 2013
Source: Palais de Tokyo
14 Nov 2018