Nida Art Colony, Lithuania - recruiting General and Artistic Director
Nida Art Colony, Lithuania (NAC) seeks a General and Artistic Director with a good track record in contemporary art curating and management and a good international network within fields relevant to NAC’s program.
The Director shall provide forceful strategic leadership for NAC, conceive and deliver its artistic program and articulate a compelling vision for its further development as a leading residency center in the Baltic and Nordic region and as an integral part of an art university.
The Director shall develop NAC’s artistic and educational programs and enhance its standing in the contemporary art world. The task includes communication and networking with art professionals and audiences, as well as the operational management of NAC and its strategic development.
The Director shall provide reliable and proactive day-to-day leadership of NAC. The task includes staff and financial management and maintaining a good working relationship with the Vilnius Academy of Arts. The new Director is expected to hire a Deputy Director to assist with day-to-day management.
The monthly salary is EUR 1,900.- (before taxes).
The Director shall reside in Nida and/or in Vilnius.
The successful candidate shall:
• Have the vision, skills and professional standing to develop and deliver artistic and educational programs at an international level of excellence.
• Have relevant leadership experience in the contemporary art and/or art education sector and be interested in and devoted to leading this ambitious institution in dialogical but result-oriented fashion (experience in running another residency program is an advantage).
• Be intellectually curious and committed to finding new directions and possibilities for NAC in contexts including critical and operational support for art production, practice-based research, interdisciplinary dialogue, formal and informal art education, and audience building.
•Be able and willing to expand NAC’s networks and seek external collaborations nationally and internationally.
• Be able and willing to maintain a financially viable institution, generate additional income from the existing infrastructure and secure grants from national and international funding bodies.
• Be a skilled and experienced communicator, have good spoken and written English and be willing to learn Lithuanian.
Application and Selection
Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, whether they are Lithuanian/EU citizens or not. The selection process will conform to the standards of public competition.
The General and Artistic Director will be selected by the NAC Board and approved by the VAA Rector. The person selected will be offered a contract for three years, which can be extended for an additional term of three years.
The closing date for applications is December 1, 2018.
- Motivation letter
- 2 references
Application documents should be sent to email@example.com
For an application informationpack, please contact NAC administrator Julija Navarskaitė at firstname.lastname@example.org
The shortlist of five candidates will be announced on December 18, 2018.
Interviews with shortlisted candidates will be held in Vilnius in the second half of January 2019 (up to 300 Eur travel expenses will be covered). Shortlisted candidates shall present a proposal for a three-year artistic and education program at NAC.
Employment will start on September 1, 2019.
Position: General and Artistic Director of Nida Art Colony of the Vilnius Academy of Arts
Salary: EUR 1,900.-/month (before taxes)
Tenure: Three-year contract with one possible extension
Location: Nida and Vilnius (Lithuania)
Nida Art Colony
Nida Art Colony (NAC) is a residency center in Nida, Lithuania’s premium seaside resort. NAC runs an international Artist-in-Residence Programme, the Nida Doctoral School, and a number of other projects within contemporary art, art education, and artistic research. NAC aims for a creative cross-pollination of artistic and scholarly practice, the academic and the non-academic, work and leisure. Its activities encompass, among other things, exhibitions, conferences and workshops, printed and electronic publications.
NAC is a subdivision of the Vilnius Academy of Arts (VAA), a state university headquartered in Vilnius and with branches in four other Lithuanian cities. VAA has about 2000 students pursuing BA, MA, PhD and DA degrees in visual and applied arts, design, architecture, and art history.