Bulgaria | Mural art on electronic waste
The research and innovation project PROGENY is calling for mural artists and mural collectives worldwide to create a mural in Sofia, Bulgaria, on the impact of current electronic production and waste.
PROGENY project is working on using soap bubbles/films for developing high-tech sensors and devices based on controlled conduction of protons and ions in contrast to only electrons. Progeny is a European funded Research and Innovation project which aims to resolve the unsustainable production of electronics and the consequential toxic waste
As part of the communication of the project, they are commissioning a mural project in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The mural should convey the following:
- Electronic waste is a serious ecological and human health hazard that no one talks about.
- There is power in the simplicity of a soap bubble: its molecular architecture is profound.
- All forms are temporary like a soap bubble but the temporal nature of forms is their strength as they can alter and mutate into evolved forms as parts of a holistic system.
In February, 6 applicants will be selected for a Q&A session and a detailed brief by PROGENY representatives. They will then develop their initial concepts (and they will receive a 150 EUR artistic fee for the sketch development). The 6 artists will also have their sketches will be featured in PROGENY`s 2024 calendar.
In March one artist will be selected, and the work on the mural will implemented between May and August 2023.
What is provided:
- Return transportation costs to Sofia
- Artistic fee of 4,700 EUR
- Per diem
- Painting materials, consumables, and a cherry picker
- Professional photography and videography
- Media coverage
Deadline: 31 January 2023