20 May 2015
Worldwide streaming by EU-supported Opera Platform
Co-financed by the European Commission's Creative Europe programme, The Opera Platform is streaming live opera free of charge worldwide from some of Europe's iconic opera houses. Intended to make opera more accessible, it involves a partnership of 15 opera companies from 12 European countries.
The Opera Platform (www.theoperaplatform.eu) is a three-year project with an overall budget of almost €4m, of which about half comes from the EU’s cultural budget.
There will be on average about one live transmission a month, which will be available for viewing on the website for six months. Subtitles are provided in English, French, German, Italian, Polish and Spanish.
The site will also offer documentaries, opera archive materials and highlights of productions throughout Europe.
The Opera Platform is the online destination for the promotion and enjoyment of opera. It is designed to appeal equally to those who already love opera and to those who may be tempted to try it for the first time.
- an average of one showcase complete opera per month from one of 15 partner theatres
- each showcase opera subtitled in 6 languages and available to enjoy for free for a period of 6 months on demand
- tantalising highlights from productions throughout Europe
- curated documentary material setting operas and opera houses within a wider cultural context
- a rich archive bringing history to life for today’s audiences
The Opera Platform is a partnership between Opera Europa, representing 155 opera companies and festivals; the cultural broadcasting channel ARTE; and 15 theatres from across Europe. It is supported by the EC’s Creative Europe programme. It welcomes contributions from all those committed to sharing opera with a wider public.
Read more in The Guardian
Image: La Traviata at Teatro Real, Madrid | photo: Javier del Real
21 Feb 2011
15 Mar 2012