"Spotlight Hong Kong in Penang" (SpHK in Penang) offers a short festival programme of Hong Kong arts and culture events in Penang, Malaysia from 5-7 June, part of a wider cultural exchange programme with cities in Asia.
SpHK in Penang aims to build relationships, facilitate cultural exchanges and enable people to share common experiences in cultural heritage conservation and revitalisation between Hong Kong and Penang, Malaysia.
The programme includes:
- *Elaine Liu & The Saturday Night Jazz Orchestra with soloists from the Penang Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Taka Hirohama
- *A Swing and Ballroom Dance Party, dancers arranged by Centerstage Academy of Performing Arts in Penang
- *A symposium on "Creating New Culture Belts: From Heritage Conservation to Urban Regeneration "
- *A "Reading Hong Kong" book exhibition
- The Fresh Wave short film winners' showcase
- A jazz quintet "So In the Mood for Jazz" featuring vocalist Cherry Palor
- *A Master-class to Penang Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Tim Wilson
- The special screening of Hong Kong award-winning film "The Way We Dance"
- Meet the Director and Lead Actress of "The Way We Dance" in an after-show talk
- Hip Hop dancers from the movie & Hong Kong rappers + DJ performing live at Gurney Plaza, produced by The Way We Dance Choreographer Shing MAK and Hong Kong Rapper "Freestyle King" MastaMic
- An art exhibition, "Sketching the City: Wong Sau Ching (Hong Kong) & Ch'ng Kiah Kian (Penang)"
The programme is co-presented by the Hong Kong Fringe Club and the George Town Festival, and is sponsored by the Hong Kong Economic & Trade Office.
Spotlight Hong Kong (SpHK) is a Fringe Club signature programme and a platform for cultural exchange between Hong Kong and other cities. As well as being a showcase for Hong Kong's artistic talents and cultural leaders, it has assisted in the enactment of cultural exchange stipulated in the signing of Memoranda of Understanding on Cultural Cooperation between Hong Kong and several participating cities.
SpHK has previously been staged in Singapore, Seoul and Ho Chi Minh City.