19 Jun 2011
San Art | Vietnam
Sàn Art (‘san’ meaning ‘platform’) was established in October 2007 in response to limited resources and negligible opportunities for contemporary art and culture in Vietnam. In a country that offers little in the way of infrastructure and few alternatives to commercial production, artists must be strategically creative in order to be heard. Sàn Art is thus uniquely placed to fill the gap in access and opportunity by engaging with contemporary discourse through the visual arts, literature, performance and vocational activities such as exhibition, lecture, workshop, artist presentations and residency programs, in conjunction with local and international partners.
- To offer opportunities for the local artistic community (through exhibition, education, residency, publication and exchange) to engage international creative practitioners in thinking critically of the relationship between art and society
- To further the knowledge and awareness of Vietnamese contemporary art with creative thinkers abroad (eg. curators, writers, historians, artists), through sharing of networks, resources and offering translation services.
- To offer a space for the local production of art to flourish within a nurturing environment that understands the various issues and contexts artists face in the realization of their work (eg. Vietnam’s Cultural Ministry demands license for all cultural production, San Art helps with the processing of this material)
- To share curatorial/artistic, experience/expertise with the local community to better enable Vietnamese contemporary artists with the skills to engage effective dialogue with opportunities abroad (eg. Preparation of portfolio; handling of budgets; considering of shipping issues and most importantly the ability to clearly articulate their ideas)
- To build a centre of knowledge in people and resources (eg. Arts managers, teachers, artists, writers etc) on contemporary art and culture, with primary focus on Vietnam, in order to better enable productive relationships with like-minded thinkers locally and abroad
02 Nov 2017
23 Aug 2018
25 May 2011