The Museum Documentation Centre
Muzejski dokumentacijski centar – The Museum Documentation Centre (MDC) is the main institution for the museum sector in Croatia.
The MDC was established in 1955 as the documentation, information and communication node of the Croatian museum network. MDC participates in the development of the Croatian and international museum community through its documentation, information and advisory work, and through its museum research and educational, publication, library and exhibition activities.
The activities of MDC include the following:
- Collection and dissemination of data and information about museums
- Promotion of museum activities and their achievements in the community at large
- Promotion and development of museum related professions
- Dissemination of information concerning museums’ related practices through the publication of professional journals and publications
- Promotion of professional standards and the development of the museum profession through professional training and permanent education programmes
- Computerisation and the implementation of new technologies
- Promotion of the cooperation of Croatian museums with national and European heritage institutions
- Elaboration of proposals concerning museum laws and regulations
- Preservation of knowledge about the history of museums and galleries in Croatia