03 Sep 2010
Brunei Arts and Handicraft Training Centre
The function of the Committee was to implement the policies and programmes to revive the almost disappearing arts and handicrafts of master craftsmen and women weavers.
- To encourage people to be active in the production of Brunei arts and handicrafts, with facilities provided by the Centre.
- To provide the necessary training for Brunei youths who are interested in arts and handicrafts of Brunei.
- To popularize arts and handicraft products and to encourage sales.
The Centre was established on 1st September 1975 at Kampong Perpindahan Berakas about 8 kilometres from Bandar Seri Begawan. On 1st January 1984, the Centre was moved to its new office where officially opened by the late Sultan Haji Sir Muda Omar Ali Saifuddien Sa’adul Khairi Waddien in conjunction with the Brunei independence. This was the landmark in the history of the development of Brunei arts and handicrafts.
The Centre offers 5 courses for the youth below 35 years old and completed their secondary schools at Form 2 or higher.
- Silver smithing
- Brass smithing
- Basketry and ‘Songkok’ making
SALES AND EXHIBITION
The Centre has 2 showrooms, located at:
- Brunei Arts and Handicrafts Training Centre Building
- Departure Hall, Brunei International Airport
Various types of handicrafts products such as weaving, silverware, krises, basketry, songkok, and others are exhibited and on sales.