30 Jun 2011
Artpool Art Research Center
The continuity of Artpool's activity is maintained through publications and the building of personal relationships. Artpool contributes to parallel projects and processes in creative and communicative ways and organises its own events related to its specific topics. The archive expands through calls for projects, co-operation and exchange as well as circulating information and enlarging the network.
The "ACTIVE ARCHIVE" is a living institution that can be interpreted as an organic and open artwork or an activist kind of art practice. Its field of operation is the whole world; it works with an exact aim and direction sensitively detecting changes and adjusting accordingly. In the annually renewing programme, which after being defined keeps constructing itself through chance, only the essential concept is permanent.
In the course of time the documents accumulated in the "ACTIVE ARCHIVE" become subjects of art historical research. The interrelation of historical and art research methodologies improves one's ability, in a way never experienced before, to perceive problems and to venture into new, previously unknown, research methods.
1. Organizing exhibitions and art events
- The presentation of new trends in art, and of new artistic tools and resources (Intermedia, Network, Internet, Performance, Installation, Artists' Bookwork, Artistamps, sound poetry, etc.)
- The presentation of possible antecedents and links (actions, happenings, fluxus, mail art, experimental film, video, etc.)
- Organizing, and providing with the essential technological background, projects that might generate fresh ideas.
- Cooperation with other cultural and art institutions, initiating joint projects, network cooperations
- Lectures on the history of art, with special reference to the current research being done at Artpool; special classes for university students (by appointment).
- Cooperation with university faculties, including the practical training for university students.
- Publishing anthologies about current topics in art as educational aids.
- On Line publications and shows at the Artpool web-site
- Regularly enlarging the archives, the library and the collections by research, exchange of works and publications, organising projects and collecting.
- Artpool also manages several unique private collections which are stored on its premises, and is responsible for making them available to the public.
- Collecting information on the internet and making it reachable by links from the Artpool web site
- Art research, covering the period from the end of the 1950s, is focused on discovering new sources, on preparing handbooks and research aids (bibliographies, chronologies, translations), and on initiating research in the less-known genres of contemporary art.
- Artpool supports research with scholarships, and with the translation into Hungarian of theoretical works and works of reference, and/or their publication.
5. Reading room service
The documents in the Archive, exhibition catalogs, magazines, the library, the collection of videos and CD-ROMs are available to researchers during the opening hours free of charge. Research is aided by a catalogue and a computer-based register which is continuously enlarged and updated. Internet access is also provided.
17 May 2011
06 Sep 2010
19 Feb 2020