“Su Bixinau”, 2nd Art Residency in Nurri – Sardinia | call
Open call for “Su Bixinau”, 2nd Art Residency in Nurri – Sardinia, running 31st May – 24 June 2019. The character of the Residency is Transdisciplinary and it is open to artists, researchers, writers or everyone who wish to be integrated in an unique place where is still possible to appreciate authentic aspects.
The theme of the Art Residency is ‘Su Bixinau’, Sardinian for ‘the neighbourhood’. In the Sardinian culture the Bixinau has always been an important point of aggregation and socialization: women used to sit and talk to their neighbors, entertaining themselves in manual work such as sewing, knitting, etc. ; the streets pullulate of the voices of children playing, while the men held conversations among them. Not even 60 years ago every neighborhood was composed of more than 20 large families with even up to 10 children. The Bixinau, the street, was a strong meeting point in which people socialize. Today, where youth have left to study and work in urban centres, many houses are empty, but each day, the elderly sit on benches to visit and chat.
The program includes:
– 3 days in San Sperate during Sant’Arte Festival and accommodation in shared dormitory at Scuola degli Scalpellini, guests of the Fondazione Sciola.
– Symposium “Su Bixinau” during Sant’Arte Festival
– 3 weeks in Nurri, accommodation in private houses (shared or private rooms).
– Exhibition in the Monastery of Santa Rosa in Nurri
– Second exhibition in San Sperate end of June or July (to be decided yet)
– Transport from the airport to Nurri and return.
The organization does its best to support projects, providing guidance in acquiring materials, seeking information, making connections within the community.
IVYnode is a non-profit network and tries to keep the fee and expenses of the participants at the minimum.
The fee is 850€ and covers the cost of accommodation and the use of the studio. Artists must cover the cost of their own art supplies, food and transportation and to contribute to gas costs if we go somewhere by car. Cooking and cleaning are also the responsibilities of the artists.
Who should apply: Emerging and established artists working in 2 and 3D media, performance, video, photography, sustainable materials, food, but also researchers and writers who have an interest in social practice, collaboration, cultural exchange program or research are invited to participate.
To apply please send us the following information to: email@example.com
– A bio, web link, or other information about your art work or research
– Summary of proposal (description of the work you would like to do, including the type of materials you would like to work with. (max. 300 words)
– How your project (motivation) fits the theme “Su Bixinau” (the neighbourhood) (max. 300 words)
The selection of the artists is based on the curriculum, motivation letter and proposal.
DEADLINE: 28th of February