Dance and Technology Residencies 2023–24 for Europe-based practitioners
MODINA (Movement, Digital Intelligence and Interactive Audience) is calling for applications from Europe-based dance artists and creative technologist duos to apply for one of the 8-week residencies that will take place in Romania, Slovenia, Estonia, Germany and Hungary between November 2023 and April 2024.
The project MODINA aims to expand the creative possibilities for contemporary dance performances, and augment the experience for the audience, using digital technology – with an emphasis on exploring artificial intelligence (AI) and audience interaction, on-site and online.
About the residency
MODINA is opening the Artist Residencies for Europe-based multidisciplinary duos, encompassing competences in dance and in technology (particularly related to computational creativity and audience interaction). There are 5 residencies of 8 weeks, across 5 performance centres:
- CNDB (Romania)
- Kino Siska (Slovenia)
- STL (Estonia)
- tanzhaus nrw (Germany)
- Trafo (Hungary)
These residencies will receive the mentorship from 3 universities: Hochschule Düsseldorf, Tallinn University and University of Lisbon.
There are additional events for all participants, including a kick-off event in Tallinn 20–21 September 2023, a final event in Düsseldorf in early 2026, and a showcasing of the outcome of the residency in approximately 3 more countries within the MODINA network in the second half of 2024.
- Travel and accommodation
- Artist fee of 5,000 EUR for each of the 2 artists
- Production budget of up to 3,000 EUR and additional production needs
- Access to equipment
- Assistance of (at least) one stage technician
- Mentoring from a MODINA academic partner (including a 3-day workshop)
- Invitation to pre/post events (travel, accommodation, and daily fee paid)
Outcomes of the residency
- Public final showing of residency results, with artist talk
- Documentation, including archival versions of the showing (if relevant)
- Open-sourcing of technology (if relevant)
Deadline: 24 May 2023