Call for artists for heritage project ECHO III
Inter Alia is calling for applications from musicians, actors, visual artists and writers from Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, and Albania for their arts and heritage project “ECHO III: for memory’s sake”.
The project explores tradition and culture through the themes of marriage, arranged marriages and nuclear families in the Balkan context. Specifically, the aim is to explore gender roles and norms through history and how all of the above affect young people and artists living in Europe.
The project will select 24 artists: six Greeks, six Romanians, six Bulgarians and six Albanians, working in the fields of theatre, music, visual arts, and literature.
Four Art Residencies
Each Art Residency (AR) will host three national and three non-national artists.
- Greece (Theatre), January–March 2023 (46 days)
- Bucharest (Visual Artists), March 2023 (2 weeks)
- Sofia (Musicians), January–February 2023 (2 weeks)
- Tirana (Writers), March 2023 (2 weeks)
Wandering Arts Caravan: a tour to Bucharest, Vidin, Sofia, Ioannina, Elbasan, Tirana; September 2023 (11 days)
The three phases
Ethnographic Research: Ethnographic research will be based on the theme of marriage in the Balkans to explore how gender issues affect the new generation.
Presentation of the results: Research results will be presented to the public through four artistic events: a theatre performance (Athens), video poems screenings (Bucharest), a concert (Sofia) and a poetry night (Tirana).
Wandering Arts Caravan: The goal of the Caravan is to keep talking about marriage, forced marriage and gender issues that are deep rooted in the Balkan societies, through culture. Thus, the last phase of ECHO III is for the contributors of the artistic events/results to go on a tour to Balkan cities.
What the project offers
- Remuneration package (including the residency, performances and caravan tour)
- Accommodation and travel expenses as well as material expenses (within the limits of the project budget)
- Visibility of produced artwork and networking opportunities
Deadline: 25 October 2022