from - to
Singapore | StoryFest 2022
From 19 to 21 August 2022 the annual international storytelling festival StoryFest will be held at the Arts House in Singapore.
Presented by the Storytelling Centre and the Arts House, this edition called “Story Threads: The Singapore Showcase” brings six storytellers from varied backgrounds together. It features The Singapore Showcase alumni Verena Tay, Stephanie Dogfoot, Hafiz Rashid, and Melizarani T. Selva along with newcomers Daryl Qilin Yam and Wesley Leon Aroozoo.
At this in-person storytelling session, audiences can get to:
- Revisit the urban legend of kepala anjing (dog head) and unearth bone-chilling superstitions
- Rediscover the Chinese creation myth of Nu Wa as a tale of selflessness, patience and nurturing
- Unravel the heartbreaking Javanese legend of the truntum motif through a revelatory interpretation of batik
- Listen in as the goddess of shadows, Chaya Devi, talks to her infant about his destiny as Shani Deva, god of karma
- Trace the symbolism of the visiting butterfly through personal memory and ancient lore
- Join a canine family’s journey through the rabies outbreak of the late 1800s
Extending the experience from the physical sessions, excerpts of the six stories will be available digitally on the StoryFest YouTube channel from 22 August 2022 till March 2023.
Story Threads: The Singapore Showcase is part of the 2022 edition of StoryFest, the annual international storytelling festival that celebrates and showcases a variety of styles, repertoire, and cultural arts presentations of storytelling from Singapore and around the world. Along the theme of Story Threads, StoryFest invites audiences to experience the in-person and invisible connections that bind us through the power of telling and listening to stories.
Image: Stephanie Dogfoot and Wesley Leon Aroozoo