50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Spain and China
In 2023 it is the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Spain and China, which is being celebrated with a number of events throughout the year.
Since March 1973, both countries have developed a stable framework of relations and cooperation in the institutional sphere, as well as in the cultural and economic spheres. In a meeting in Bali, Indonesia in 2022, Chinese State Councillor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares agreed to further develop relations between their two countries.
Wang said China and Spain have maintained momentum for sound and steady development of bilateral ties. China is ready to take the opportunity of the 50th anniversary to plan for future development to promote healthy, stable and vibrant relations between the two countries.
For his part, Albares said Spain is looking forward to celebrating the 50th anniversary of bilateral ties with China, adding that his country hopes to strengthen cultural and people-to-people exchanges with China and to establish more Cervantes Institutes in China.
The programme of events for the 50th anniversary includes:
- Am I Bruce Lee dance performance: 3 March 2023, Barcelona
- Colloquium on the Opera “Nixon in China”: April 2023, Madrid
- Chinese-inspired artistic workshop on the Opera “Turandot” by Giacomo Puccini: June 2023, Madrid
- Retrospective of the Chinese film director Jia Zhangke: October 2023, XI Asian Film Festival Barcelona
- Concert of Chinese and Spanish music: 1 December 2023, Madrid
- Conference on Sinology from Spanish: 19–20 April 2023, online
- Meeting with the Chinese writer Shuang Xuetao: first half of June 2023, Barcelona
- A China-Spain dialogue from civil society: Second half of 2023, Spain
- Dialogue between Cervantes and Confucius to address linguistic, cultural and academic exchange: April/May 2023 in China and in September/October 2023 in Spain
Find out more about the full programme