The Zanabazar Museum of Fine Arts
The Fine Arts G. Zanabazar Museum was founded in 1966. It was named after Gombodorjiin Zanabazar (1635-1724), the First Resplendent Saint of Mongolia most noted for making great contributions to the development of Mongolian fine arts. The Museum is renowned for G. Zanabazar's works, which include the statues of Sita Tara, the Five Dhayani Buddhas and the Bodhi Stupa.
It has 12 exhibition galleries covering the arts from ancient civilizations up to the beginning of the 20th Century. Initially opened with over 300 exhibits, the Museum has rapidly expanded that number, with Modern Arts becoming a separate division in 1989 as an Arts Gallery.
The Museum contains 13,000 exhibits, and its exhibition hall regularly hosts the works of contemporary artists. It displays the artistic works of Mongolian masters of the 18-20th Centuries, such as coral masks, thangkas, as well as the famous paintings of B. Sharav entitled “A Day in Mongolia” and “Airag feast”.
The Museum has been successfully cooperating with UNESCO for the improvement of the preservation of priceless exhibits and for training of the Museum staff.