New Zealand Book Council
The New Zealand Book Council nurtures and supports New Zealand writers and readers through an active programme of public events, advocacy and resources. Through Writers in Schools we are the only New Zealand organisation that connects writers with young readers in schools from the inner city to remote rural classrooms. We work in partnership with our funders, supporters and the literary sector to present lively and engaging programmes for all ages throughout the country.
The New Zealand Book Council currently holds a key role for literature in New Zealand as a Toi Tōtara Haemata organisation, under Creative New Zealand’s funding programme. All our work supports this role, which is to deliver quality programmes and champion literary endeavours around the country.
As a Tōtara organisation we:
- collaborate with publishers and support their writers through events, online content and publicity
- partner with literary festivals around the country
- provide opportunities for writers to travel to literary events overseas
- keep writers and readers up to date with the latest industry news, features and issues
- run online and live campaigns to encourage reading and storytelling
- promote the joy of reading and writing to children through our many Writers in Schools programmes