Matera 2019 - European Capital of Culture
Matera in southern Italy is the European Capital of Culture 2019. The programme is built on 2 foundations, I-DEA and Open Design School.
The programme itself has 5 themes:
- Ancient Futures: the relationship with nature and landscape
- Continuity and Disruptions: a story of ingenuity and resilience
- Utopias and Dystopias: radical new models which challenge assumptions
- Roots and Routes: the possibilities of mobility
- Reflections and Connections: art, science and cultural citizenship as catalysts for a new model in Europe
The Bulgarian city of Plovdiv, together with Matera, has been chosen as the twin European Capital of Culture for 2019.