26 Jun 2011
General Directorate for Book, Archives and Libraries (DGLAB)
Its aim is to define and oversee the coordination and implementation of an integrated non-school and library book policy at national level, and the dissemination of Portuguese literary works and writers at an international level.
The Book Department
The Department has set up an integrated program with a view to stimulating writing and publishing, as well as promoting writers, illustrators, books and reading.
Five major projects are underway:
- Support for Writing and Publishing promotes all forms of literary creation by supporting publication, literary prizes and Portuguese institutions related to literature. It also produces information on publishers and bookshops.
- The National Reading Promotion Programme aims to reduce illiteracy and create readers by means of its own projects or in partnership with other bodies such as the National Reading Plan, the Public Libraries Network and the Portuguese Prison Service.
- The Promotion Abroad aims to make the work of Portuguese writers and illustrators better known outside Portugal on an enduring base. Classic and contemporary, living and dead authors, the project entails all the literary range of creation and also picture books and comics.
- The Portuguese-Language Bibliographic Network is the promotional programme for books and reading in Portuguese-speaking countries. The network operates in partnership with other national bodies and with those from the target countries such as African libraries and archives.
- The Documentation Centre on Portuguese Writers produces and provides information on Portuguese writers, systematically updating the largest existing database.
27 Aug 2013
07 Sep 2010