15 May 2011
European Music Council
The European Music Council, regional group for Europe of the International Music Council, is the umbrella organisation for musical life in Europe. It acknowledges the significant role that music and culture play in the political and societal development of a peaceful and integrative Europe. Therefore it advocates on local, national and European levels for an appropriate framework, respecting equal rights and opportunities for music, music professionals and access to music. The European Music Council serves its members by advocating for the societal and political significance of musical diversity in Europe and, hence, plays a key role in supporting the European communities that want to celebrate their music. It provides exceptional value to its membership by building knowledge; creating networking opportunities; supporting and enhancing the visibility of projects that help sustain people's participation in music and cultural life. Being the regional group for Europe of the International Music Council, the EMC collaborates on an international level.
THE EMC'S STRATEGIC POSITION
The European Music Council is the European network of networks for music, with a membership of national music councils as well as local, national and international music organisations that are based in Europe. In line with the International Music Council’s principles, the EMC’s strategies and actions honour human and cultural rights. In situations where musical integrity and commercial gain are in conflict, the EMC gives priority to musical integrity. The EMC strongly supports youth participation in decision-making processes.
In line with the IMC’s 5 Musical Rights, the EMC’s strategies and actions honour human and cultural rights such as:
- the right for all children and adults to express themselves musically in full freedom;
- the right for all children and adults to learn musical languages and skills;
- the right for all children and adults to have access to musical involvement through participation, listening, creation and information;
- the right for musical artists to develop their artistry and communicate through all media, with appropriate facilities at their disposal;
- the right for musical artists to obtain fair recognition and remuneration for their work.
Stay informed about the acitvities of the European Music Council by subscribing to the EMC Newsletter!
17 May 2011
08 Mar 2016
03 Sep 2010
11 Jul 2011
15 May 2012