Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL | call for grant proposals
Arts Council Tokyo (ACT) and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government have an open call for grants for the Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL taking place to complement the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. 'Overseas artistic creation in Tokyo' is one of the eligible categories - grant applications must be made by an organisation based in Japan and overseas organisations are required to collaborate with organisations in Japan. Individuals may not apply.
Arts Council Tokyo (ACT) and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government are carrying out various cultural programs ahead of Tokyo 2020 as Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL to bring excitement to this once in a life time event. As part of this effort, Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL Grant will provide support to variety of projects delivered by cultural/artistic organizations to enrich the Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL program line-up. The selected projects will be awarded maximum 20 million JPY and will be part of the official programs of Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL leading up to 2020.
One of the 4 categories “Overseas Artistic Creation in Tokyo” will provide support to projects in Tokyo that encourage creation of new art (including collaborative work) by artists residing abroad as well as overseas artists. This category intends to bring opportunities for the citizens of Tokyo to experience new and diverse works of art from around the world.
We aim to accelerate our support to projects which generate wide opportunities for the public to engage with the cultural programs and create legacies of arts and culture for future generations leading up to the year 2020 and beyond.
2019 Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL Grant: Second term
ACT will support organizations which deliver artistic/cultural activities that are grounded in the objectives of the cultural programs led by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government*.
*Objectives of the cultural programs led by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government
Offer the best cultural programs in history in accordance with the Olympic spirit and pass down cultural legacies beyond 2020 and to achieve Tokyo being the top cultural city in the world.
- Introduce Tokyo culture with originality and diversity including the coexistence of tradition and modernity to the world and proactively promote international artistic/cultural exchanges
- Generate opportunities for participation and exchanges among all people including the disabled, the elderly, children, and people from other countries
- Encourage artistic/cultural activities with new concepts and develop human resources for the next generation
- Generate a city-wide festive mood for arts and culture
- Unite effort through cooperation with the national government, other local authorities, artistic/cultural groups, and others
Submission Deadline: Saturday, August 31, 2019
■ Eligible Applicants
Applicants should be organizations based (have an address) in Japan. Overseas organizations are required to collaborate with local partners. Individuals are ineligible.
■ Eligible Art Forms and Disciplines
Music, play, dance, visual arts, photography, literature, media art (video, comic, animation, game, etc.), traditional arts, performing art, lifestyles and culture (tea ceremony, flower arrangement, calligraphy, food etc.), fashion, architecture, any other form of art/collaboration across these artforms and disciplines etc. Combined form of various artistic activities (such as festivals) are also accepted.
■ Grant Categories
The grants are divided into 4 categories. Applicants may choose multiple categories. Please note that projects may be selected as categories differing from which specified by the applicants.
- Symbolic Projects Setting the Flag of Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL: Topical and festive projects to build momentum leading up to 2020.
- Citizen-Led Cultural Activities: Grassroots, independent activities by the citizens of Tokyo.
- Overseas Artistic Creation in Tokyo: Projects in Tokyo by artist residing abroad that encourage creation of new art.
- Projects Offering Vision for the Future: Projects that shows creative ambition leveraging art and science.
Up to 20 million JPY
Up to 25% of the eligible project cost will be covered for the category “Symbolic Projects Setting the Flag of Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL” and up to 50% for the other categories.