Online workshop for BIPOC illustrators and authors in children’s literature
Goethe-Institut Finland is calling for BIPOC illustrators and authors in Europe, interested in writing for children, to attend a free online workshop. The workshop is held over eight sessions from 2 September to 7 November 2022.
Children’s books are becoming more and more diverse, reflecting the reality in a diverse society. Still, authors and illustrators of colour, with experiences of racism, migration and/or flight, are strongly underrepresented in the children’s book market. Thus, this workshop aims at educating and empowering BIPOC that are interested in or are already writing or illustrating stories for children.
At the end of the course, participants will have created a short story of two to four pages or accompanying images on the topic “Celebrations” for children aged four to six. The illustrated stories will be published to give you further exposure and make space for more diverse artists and narratives.
- Two modules; one for authors and another one for illustrators
- A focus on craft, developing your a personal style, insights in the publishing industry as well as creative routines to start and finish projects
- Lessons shared from experts in kid lit who will help participants to create impactful narratives and illustrations
- Networking and exchanging opportunities with fellow participants
- Hands-on experiences in the publishing process while working on a short story collaboratively in writer–illustrator teams
Conditions of participation
The participation in this course is free of charge participants must be able to take part for the whole duration of the course. Prior experiences in writing or illustrating children’s literature are not a requirement. Stories can be written in the preferred language, although applications in English are encouraged. The course will be held in English, but translations can be provided if necessary.
Register by: 15 August 2022