Japan | Awaji Art Circus 2019 open call for artists/performers
Awaji Art Circus (AAC) 2019 on Awaji island in Japan has an open Call for Artists/Performers. 25 artists will be recruited to spend 6 weeks on Awaji in Sept/Oct 2019 and perform at various mainly open air venues for visitors and locals.
The call is open to artists of all performing arts genres such as: street performance, bodily expression, musical instrument performance, singing, live painting, dance, different circus disciplines (except all aerials acts, work with Chinese pole, tightrope walking, teeterboard, work with fire, performances which require perfectly flat surface) etc. Artists who are willing to break the barriers of existing genres as well as artists with interactive performance are welcome.
Arrive by: September 18 (Wed), 2019
Orientation: September 19 (Thurs), 2019
Performance period: September 21 (Sat)～October 27 (Sun), 2019
Discussion and preparation for departure: October 28 (Mon), 2019
Selected participants have to:
- Perform (at the main venues, different events inside and outside Awaji Island, hotels, schools etc.):
Circus tricky genres, for example: hand-balance, contortion, etc. 15 minutes Other circus disciplines: clowning, object manipulation, etc., music, dance performances, theatrical acts 20 minutes Interaction acts, for example: live statue, stilts, etc. 30 minutes
- ①Number of workdays. Five workdays a week.
- ②Performance frequency. As a standard, performance frequency will be around two/three times a day. Exceptions may be allowed upon consideration by the organizer of AAC (hereinafter referred to as the Organizer).
- ③Performance duration. Depending on the event the Organizer will ask you to prepare different durations of performance: 2 minutes, 4 minutes and 15/20/30 minutes*
* depends on the genre of your performance
- Share information in social media. You will create posts and share information in social media (Facebook, Instagram, blog etc.) about Awaji Island and Festival based on your experience daily. Sometimes the Organizer will provide you the information you have to use in the posts or ask to share some posts.
- Participate in Grand Performance at Closing Ceremony which includes collaboration with local school, and in all related meetings and rehearsals.
- Lead a Workshop. Participants will lead a workshop of their discipline for local people
- Participate in the meetings held by the Organizer.
Performance fees are paid, group accommodation provided and prizes awarded.
Deadline for applications: 6 May 2019