Indonesia | Docs by the Sea 2023 for filmmakers from Asia
Docs by the Sea (DBTS) 2023 are calling for applications from docu-filmmakers from Asia for their DBTS Labs and Forum, held online and in Indonesia from 17 July to 8 September 2023.
Docs by the Sea (DBTS) is an annual international documentary lab and forum based in Indonesia, dedicated to cultivating creative documentary projects from Asia towards international co-producing and distribution opportunities. It is a platform for emerging Asian documentary filmmakers to launch their projects, to network with fellow documentary filmmakers and global decision makers, while obtaining industry insights.
Docs by the Sea are looking for 23–26 creative documentary projects in the following segments:
- Storytelling Lab
- Editing Lab
- Creative Producing Lab
After intensive development in DBTS Lab, participating projects will enter pitching sessions to a panel of documentary organisations and industry representatives in the DBTS Forum. DBTS Lab and Forum will conclude with the DBTS Awarding Night with prizes from festival partners. Aside from winning awards, all participating filmmakers in Docs by the Sea will have the opportunity to secure international co-production.
- Online Labs: 17–27 July 2023
- Editing Lab (in-person) 1–2 September 2023
- Pitch Training (in-person): 2–3 September 2023
- Forum (in-person): 4–8 September 2023
Eligibility and conditions
To be eligible for Docs by the Sea Labs and Forum, the project must be produced or directed by a national of any of these countries:
- Southeast Asia: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam
- Central Asia: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
- Eastern Asia: China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macao, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan
- South Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
The project submitted can be a documentary project at any stage of production, on the condition that there is already a pitch trailer/concept trailer made of the project.
Filmmakers of selected projects in Storytelling Lab and Editing Lab are required to travel to Indonesia to pitch their project in the Forum.
Deadline: 24 April 2023