Indonesia | 2024 PRAKSIS residency Bricking It
PRAKSIS, Norway, is calling for applications from architects, artisans, craftspeople, artists, designers and specialists to apply for Residency 26, Bricking It, in Samong Haven (a culture and learning centre under development in Sumberkima, north-west Bali, Indonsia) from 1 to 30 April 2024.
Residency participants will spend a month developing hands-on skills, building background knowledge and testing new concepts using traditional Indonesian brick. Specialist input into the residency comes from Indonesian architect Andy Rahman and senior researchers Professor Totok Noerwasito and Dr. I Nyoman Gede Maha Putra, who will make visits to conduct soil testing, lead brickmaking workshops and supervise an actual, small-scale, construction project.
Expected activities include:
- Workshops, including a one-week intensive workshop
- Visits to examples of tourist development in the area
- Meetings with local craftspeople, including brick-makers and their production sites
- Networking with environmental foundations
- Participation in ceremonies and festivals
- Opportunities for residents to lead workshops and discuss key aspects of their own practices
- Opportunities to work on creative or architectural productions for potential installation and use at Samong Haven
Residents will receive:
- Three meals a day provided on site
- A stipend of 5,000 NOK towards travel and other costs
- Travel from and to the airport to Sumberkima
Applications are welcomed from architects, artisans, craftspeople, artists, designers and all others whose interests and experience are relevant to the residency’s theme. Essential for selection is an interest in community, place-making and low-impact construction. A total of 8 places are available. The programme will be conducted in English.
Deadline: 4 January 2024