China | Nanjing Virtual Writers' Residency 2022
Nanjing International Writers Residency is offering six virtual residencies, from 31 October to 30 November 2022, to writers, poets and translators from any of the UNESCO Cities of Literature.
The theme for 2022 programme is “Rivers and Literature”. This yearly programme was initiated early 2019 and has hosted 18 writers, poets and translators from the subnetwork. The programme turned virtual since the COVID outbreak in 2020.
What they offer
- Virtual tours to culture landmarks in Nanjing
- A selection of literary activities
- Online interactions with Nanjing writers, poets, translators, literary organisations, and students
- A stipend of 1,200 USD for each selected writer
Selected participants are expected to
- Be connected to a UNESCO City of Literature (either a resident or one who works or studies in that city, or has other connections with that city as recognised in writing by a City of Literature office)
- Have at least three-years’ experience in writing, or at least one published work (book in print, all genres acceptable), or have received awards that are recognised by your local literary communities
- Be willing to interact with Nanjing’s literary communities, emerging and established writers, as well as to partake in local literary activities
- Write a piece of work in English (no less than 1,000 words, or 50 lines in poetry) that is inspired by the one-month virtual residency, or translate Chinese stories, poems or proses into English
- Be fluent in spoken English, or Chinese
All the virtual writers will retain the copyright of their works. The works might be used for promotional purpose by Nanjing Literature Centre.
Deadline: 21 October 2022