2024 Mentorship Award: Moving Narratives
The Prince Claus Fund and the British Council are calling for applications from artists, cultural practitioners, or creatives with 7 to 15 years of relevant professional experience, for their year-long multidisciplinary programme – Mentorship Award: Moving Narratives.
Dominant historical and social narratives tend to exclude the experiences and stories of marginalised communities, silence critical voices, and erase, overlook, or at times over-emphasise differences. This multidisciplinary programme re-examines legacies of the past, defies euro-centric social and historical discourses, centres the perspectives of marginalised communities, and forges connections between contemporary emancipatory movements and their historical roots.
The Mentorship Award: Moving Narratives will bring together 12 experienced, socially and politically engaged artists and cultural practitioners working across diverse mediums, approaches, and interpretations of the mentorship’s overarching theme.
Supported by 4 mentors, participants will be encouraged to collectively experiment, exchange, and develop artistic strategies that address dominant narratives and the inequalities they perpetuate, whether they are based on gender, race, class, or other intersectional issues.
- Interactive formats that range from workshops, reading groups, guest talks, and peer-to-peer review sessions
- Online activities and two in-person Labs (6-day intensive mentoring sessions)
- The creation of a joint project in the form of a printed publication and an online platform
Each participant will receive an award of 10,000 EUR to work on the project or body of work outlined in their application.
Individual, experienced artists and cultural practitioners who:
- Live and work in eligible countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Eastern Europe
- Are artists, cultural practitioners, or creatives whose practice highlights marginalised histories that challenge dominant worldviews
- Have about 7 to 15 years of relevant professional experience
Deadline: 10 August 2023