Resources > National Gallery - Alexandros Soutzos Museum
03 Jul 2011

National Gallery - Alexandros Soutzos Museum

The National Gallery was founded on April 10, 1900 by a law in which provision was also made for the assignment of a chief curator of the Foundation. In 1954, the National Gallery merged with the Alexandros Soutzos Estate, hence its double name.

Its early collections came from the National Technical University and the University of Athens. Today, the National Gallery collections comprise more than 20,000 works of painting, sculpture, engraving and other forms of art; this is the treasury of Modern Greek art, encompassing the period from the post-Byzantine times until today. Approximately 3,000 works have been added to the National Gallery collections in recent years. Moreover, the National Gallery owns a remarkable collection of Western European paintings.

The institutional role of the National Gallery is to collect, safe-keep, preserve, study and exhibit works of art towards the aesthetic training of the public, the on-going education through art and the recreation that it is able to provide, as well as the self-awareness of the Greek people through the history of art, which expresses the national history on a symbolic level.

The National Gallery – Alexandros Soutzos Museum is a public law entity governed by a nine-member Board. The various activities of the National Gallery (exhibitions, musical events, book publishing) are funded by sponsorships and donations between that range 60-100%.

The National Gallery-Alexandros Soutzos Museum houses an extensive library with invaluable archival material and specialized conservation laboratories, equipped with up-to-date scanning, examination and restoration systems. The highly specialized scientific, administrative and security personnel efficiently and selflessly responds to the demanding and diverse operations of such an important museum.

In 2000, the National Gallery-Alexandros Soutzos Museum celebrated its 100th anniversary. This historical landmark was punctuated by the grand opening of the new display of the museum’s permanent collections in the renovated interiors sponsored by the Stavros S. Niarchos Foundation. The display of the permanent collections reflects the current developments in museological presentation following the parallel development in art and society. The works in the collections have been digitized under the EU operational program “Information Society”. The National Gallery has developed a busy publishing agenda in recent years, both in print and in digital form, including collection guides, seminal catalogues to accompany the exhibitions and educational books for young people.

Similar content