03 Sep 2010
Foundation for the Advancement of Western Classical Performing Arts in Cambodia (FWCPA)
Promoting Western Art Music in the sense of a historical development supports a key concept that such a development is always only possible in the respective culture itself. In other words, the experience of Western classical music as a historical process may help to revitalize the same consciousness in the Cambodian people concerning their own classical music traditions.
It is noteworthy that some Cambodian specialists began to study Western (European) classical music, for example, Loch Bonsamnang, Chan Vitharo, So Soronos; aside from the established composers, Ung Chinnary and Him Sophy. For these people, the collaboration with European professionals may add significantly to their personal approach. It is strongly hoped that this also happens in reverse. Only through mutual learning and understanding may we contribute to a better and more peaceful world.
Objectives of the Foundation:
- Professional music-teaching
- International teacher Association Network
- Repair and acquisition of instruments
- Providing room/spaces for practice and rehearsals
- Establishing special working groups for chamber music
- Cultural Platform for local and international artist
- Establishing chamber music ensembles
- International exchange of composers
- International Music Festival
- Benefit Concerts
- Research and Documentation of Art Music