01 Jul 2011
Bangkok Music Society Choir
The Choir was established in 1991 through the impetus of Graham Taylor, who continued as its conductor until June 2007. Since its inception, choral performances have included such masterworks as the Magnificat of JS Bach, the Duruflé Requiem and the Vivaldi Gloria, as well as two “Night at the Opera” concerts, one of which was accompanied by the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra.
The BMS Choir does not consider itself to be a professional group and membership is open to singers of all levels and abilities. The emphasis is on enthusiasm for and commitment to the enjoyment of singing. Students from the Thai and International Schools are encouraged to join the Choir to enhance their choral and musical experience.
In recent years, the Bangkok Music Society has presented:
- A Night at the Opera, produced in 1998 and again in 2000, featuring soloists and the BMS Choir with the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra, performed at the Oriental Hotel
- The Music in the Drawing Room series of largely members' concerts in an informal setting, including performances by the "Three Baritones", the Kokopellia Ensemble, jazz by Manrat Srikanonda and friends, and a night of songs, arias and Gilbert & Sullivan, hosted by various BMS members
- Music for a Summer Evening, a concert of choral music, solos, duets and ensemble pieces
- A Christmas concert with guest performances by the New Sound Brass Quintet and the New International School of Thailand Angkalung Band
- Winter Schubert Festival, including a kick-off lecture and discussion and several evenings of song, chamber and piano music
- Gloria!, a concert of Vivaldi's Gloria in excelsis deo and other sacred music
- Musica Regalis, a concert of music written by or for Royalty, including music by Henry VIII, Henry Purcell, C H H Parry, Frederick the Great of Prussia, and much more.
- Bach's "Magnificat", in a joint concert with the Bangkok Orpheus Choir
- Parts 1 and 6 of Bach's "Christmas Oratorio" at our 2004 Christmas Concert.
- Haydn "Te Deum" , Haydn's Violin Concerto in C, and Mozart's "Kronungsmesse" at the Phaya Thai Palace.
- A Christmas Concert of Britten "Ceremony of Carols", Vaughan Williams "Fantasia on Christmas Carols" at the Phaya Thai Palace, and at Christ Church, Convent Road.
- "An Evening Of Handel", the Dettingen Anthem, Organ Concerto in Bb (soloist: Dan Golden), and the Dettingen "Te Deum".
03 Jul 2011
01 Jul 2011
17 Aug 2016
17 Aug 2016