Singapore | Esplanade 2023 Contemporary Performing Arts Research Residency
Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay invites artists, curators, programmers, writers, researchers and practitioners across all disciplines in the performing arts to apply for the Contemporary Performing Arts Research Residency, taking place in Singapore between April and June 2024.
In its second cycle, the Contemporary Performing Arts Research Residency is a fully funded artistic research development programme, supported by the National Arts Council, Singapore. This year the theme is Decentring Access.
The residency welcomes various manners and methodologies of enquiry, embracing a pluralistic approach towards research that unfolds not only through the written word, but also includes forms of experimentation with the body, performed moments, and other non-traditional systems of knowledge.
There is no commitment for residents to create a production during or after the residency. Instead, residents will be asked to present at least one public programme of their choosing, developed in conversation with the Esplanade Team.
The residency is open to artists, curators, programmers, writers, researchers and practitioners who practice in contemporary performing arts, at any stage of their career. The residency can accept applications from companies, ensembles, collectives, work groups or duos but can only provide funding, workspace, airfare and accommodation (if from overseas) for one (1) person. The residency is open to applicants from anywhere in the world.
Support available per project
- A stipend of 2,000 SGD per month (minimum 1 month, maximum 3 months)
- An allowance of up to 1,000 SGD for research materials or support
- Shared working space
- Studio spaces when required
- Accommodation and international airfare to and from Singapore
- Resources for organising a public programme
- Access to the Selection Panel for consultation to help strengthen the research
- Access to other residents for peer feedback and support
- Programming support in the form of research connections, networking, etc.
Esplanade Residency application guidelines
Deadline: 30 April 2023