Japan | ARCUS Project 2023 artist-in-residence programme
ARCUS Project, approximately an hour from Tokyo, calls for applications from emerging visual artists for their funded artist-in-residence programme from 30 August to 7 December 2023.
The ARCUS Project, based in Moriya City, Ibaraki, provides opportunities for emerging artists in the field of contemporary art to cultivate their artistic creativity and vision. The programme particularly emphasises research-based practices and presents the initial results of these processes at open studios. It welcomes ideas for artworks and projects that develop out of encounters with people, the land, and culture, and aspire to form critical spaces that are open and international.
The applicant must:
- be an emerging artist engaged in contemporary visual arts or other related fields
- possess a nationality other than Japanese
- be resident outside Japan and able to enter Japan legally
- have completed his/her educational as of August 2023 and not be enrolled at an educational institution during the programme period, unless it is a PhD program
- be in a state of good health
- be proficient in English
The artist is provided with:
- 180,000 JPY for living expenses
- 450,000 JPY for artistic activities
- A studio, accommodation, round-trip airfare, and staff support
Deadline: 12 May 2023
The ARCUS Project is an art and culture project promoting “regional development through the arts” and is organised by Ibaraki Prefecture Government and based in Moriya City.