15 Mar 2016
International Award UCLG - MEXICO CITY - Culture 21
Call for applications for the "International Award UCLG – MEXICO CITY – Culture 21" which aims to recognise leading cities and individuals around the world that have distinguished themselves through their contribution to culture as a key dimension in sustainable cities.
Cities and local authorities should submit a bid application, accompanied by a letter of presentation. The project presented by the winning city will receive the amount of Euro 50,000. For the individual award, nominations may be made directly or indirectly by members of the UCLG.
The objective of the "International Award UCLG – MEXICO CITY – Culture 21" is to recognise leading cities and individuals that have distinguished themselves through their contribution to culture as a key dimension in sustainable cities.
The "International Award UCLG – MEXICO CITY – Culture 21" has two categories:
- the City / Local or Regional Government Award, which recognises a city, local or regional government the cultural policy of which has contributed significantly to linking the values of culture (heritage, diversity, creativity and transmission of knowledge) with democratic governance, citizen participation and sustainable development
- the Individual Award, which recognises an internationally renowned individual who has made a
fundamental contribution to the relationship between culture and sustainable development.
15 March 2016 | Deadline for submission of applications.
The "International Award UCLG – MEXICO CITY – Culture 21" has the following specific goals:
- Ensure that the visibility of the relationship between city, culture and sustainable development is enhanced at an international level, in keeping with the strategic documents of UCLG.
- Encourage cities of the world to adopt the principles of Agenda 21 for culture, thereby bringing together and exchanging good practices in projects on cities, culture and sustainable development.
- Strengthen the presence within UCLG of an innovative topic, giving continuity to the leadership launched by Mexico City in 2010 with the UCLG declaration “Culture: Fourth Pillar of Sustainable Development”.
Agenda 21 for Culture, promoted all over the world by mayors, cities and local governments, is the first and only international document that recognises and encourages culture as a driver and enabler of sustainable development of cities. In January 2015 more than 580 cities and organisations were associated to it.
United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), the most important and largest international organisation of mayors and local governments is the institutional promoter of the Agenda 21 for culture through its Committee on Culture.
22 Nov 2018