The European Capital of Innovation 2019 - call for cities
The 2019 edition of the European Capital of Innovation competition is open for applications. Interested cities can apply until 6 June.
This is an annual cash prize awarded to the European city that is best able to demonstrate its ability to harness innovation to improve the lives of its citizens.
In particular cities that
- contribute to open and dynamic innovation ecosystems
- involve citizens in governance and decision-making
- use innovation to improve the resiliency and sustainability of their cities
This prize enables European cities to showcase their contribution to developing local innovation ecosystems for the benefit of businesses and the wellbeing of their citizens.
€1 million to the city named European Innovation Capital of the year.
€100,000 to each of the five runner-up cities.
The award also recognises a number of finalist cities specially acknowledged for their efforts in promoting innovation.
Who can apply?
A city can apply as long as it
- has at least 100,000 inhabitants
- is in an EU country or a country associated to Horizon 2020, the EU's research and innovation programme
Cities are judged on how they implement innovative solutions to societal challenges. These solutions can be completed or ongoing, but must have been implemented in the year prior to the opening of the contest or the contest year itself.
Cities will have to show how they created the conditions for innovation by
- experimenting innovative concepts, processes, tools, and governance models as a test-bed for innovation
- engaging citizens in the innovation process and ensuring the uptake of their ideas
- expanding the city's attractiveness to become a role model for other cities
- empowering citizens by bringing concrete and measurable added value through the implementation of innovative practices
Applications are judged by a panel of independent experts from across Europe.