DeCoSEAS Southeast Asia Visiting Fellowship in Europe 2023
Decolonising Southeast Asian Sound Archives (DeCoSEAS) invites up to four visiting fellows from Southeast Asia for a three-month stay in 2023 to work with one or more Southeast Asian collection within audio-visual archives located in Europe.
DeCoSEAS can host fellows either April–June 2023 or September–November 2023.
To be eligible, applicants should:
- Be passionate about sound recordings and enthusiastic about delving deeper into colonial archives
- Be a national of Southeast Asia
- Be an early or mid-career artist, curator, activist, scholar, or other stakeholder of the sound archives
- Have good communication skills in English
- Have linguistic and cultural familiarity with the Southeast Asian sound recordings
Access to the archives
Selected candidates have access to the Southeast Asian collections of the following archives:
- The Jaap Kunst Collection at the University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- The collections of the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision in Hilversum, The Netherlands
- The audio-visual material of the BBC Archive Trust and the British Library, London, UK
- The audio-visual and written collections of SOAS—University of London, UK
- Sound archives on Southeast Asian music, Paris, France
Visits to other European archives within the Schengen Area can be arranged, such as to:
- The Phonogrammarchiv, Berlin, Germany
- The Lautarchiv of the Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
- The Phonogrammarchiv, Vienna, Austria
Stipend and support
Fellows will be hosted at the University of Amsterdam in The Netherlands.
Fellows will receive a stipend of 2,000 EUR monthly for a maximum of three months. The stipend is intended to cover the fellow’s accommodation, local commute, and daily living expenses throughout their fellowship stay.
In addition, the grant will cover costs for visa application, one round-trip flight from Southeast Asia to Europe, travel-related Covid-19 tests (if necessary), and health and travel insurance for the duration of the Fellowship.
Deadline: 21 November 2022