Artists at Risk Connection - regional representative for Asia (p/t consultancy job)
ARTISTS AT RISK CONNECTION REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE FOR ASIA (CONSULTANCY)
PEN America, a nonprofit organization working at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a talented, energetic, and highly organized regional representative in Asia for its Artists at Risk Connection (ARC) program, a support system for artists facing threats as a result of their creative expression. This is a part-time consultant position and can be based anywhere in Asia.
The successful candidate will grow and strengthen a dynamic regional network in order to ensure that ARC’s partners are diverse, representative, and responsive in this region. The region includes countries in South Asia, Southeast Asia, and East Asia.
ARC manages a coordination and information-sharing hub that supports, unites, and advances the work of organizations that provide assistance to artists at risk of persecution globally. ARC’s mission is to improve access to resources for artists at risk, enhance connections among supporters of artistic freedom, and raise awareness about challenges to artistic freedom.
The Regional Representative will:
- Give advice, devise strategies, and lead local outreach as ARC develops its network of assistance for persecuted artists;
- Support urgent assistance efforts by the ARC team by referring artist cases to international support and connecting artists to local and regional resources;
- Promote opportunities for the local arts community to have a global impact and for the international network of organizations to support artists at risk more locally.
This is a consultant role that would be suitable for an individual who is already quite active in their own artistic or human rights community, is interested in developing their own regional network, and is excited about the idea of shaping and initiating more international projects and collaborations. The position requires a minimum one-year commitment.
- Strengthening existing support for at-risk artists by connecting ARC and artists at risk to local human right organizations and the arts community locally and regionally
- Supporting ARC’s referral work locally and regionally by connecting artists in need with the local organizations that can support them
- Identifying new resources for artists at risk and initiating coordination and information sharing between organizations that support artists at risk in the region
- Being a resource for the local cultural community by sharing information, advice, and networks that can help persecuted artists access regional resources
- Supporting outreach and communications efforts relevant to the region
- At least five years of active experience in the arts and human rights fields in the region mentioned above
- A diverse and established network in their field in the region, particularly in Southeast Asia
- Interest in building collaborations and connections with other countries in the region
- Relevant experience in creating collaborative opportunities
- Proficient in one or more of the following: Chinese, Hindi, Bengali, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesian, Tamil, or Burmese. Fluency in Chinese preferred
- Professional level of English, enabling clear and descriptive communication with ARC team by email, Facebook, and in-person discussion
- Experience in outreach and communications or project management a plus
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, unedited writing sample, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to email@example.com. One PDF is preferred. Please use “Artists At Risk Regional Representative – Asia” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Artists At Risk Regional Representative – Asia – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PLEASE NOTE: this consultancy opportunity was posted on 15 May by ARC on its Facebook page. There is no published deadline.