22 Nov 2019
The "Museums for Future" Movement Calls for Action on 29 November
Museums For Future - Culture in Support of Climate Action is a global movement of museum workers, cultural heritage professionals, and many others to support the #FridaysForFuture movement with positive actions. On the occasion of the forthcoming Global Strike 4 Future on Friday 29 November, Museums for Future has proposed 10 simple actions that museums can take to support the initiative. Some of them directly support the global strike, whereas others are more related to museum work. They are as follows:
- Welcome strikers in your museum. Your toilets, tap water, and comfortable seating are assets to strikers.
- Hold a children's assembly about a sustainable future. That way, parents are free to march.
- Provide space for teach-ins, sign making, workshops. Offer your workshop spaces and other rooms in advance to organisers.
- Go on #ArtStrike, put an object on strike. Here are a toolkit and some more info.
- Archive and create a display of the strike. Document this all-important movement for posterity, together with the strikers.
- Tell the story of young activists from other times and places. Create a display showing how movements work and create change.
- Sell only local, plant-based food in your restaurant. One day is feasible. And then another. And another.
- Make ONE part of your museum's operations sustainable. The utility bill, transport, packaging... anything. If you change one thing every time there is a strike, soon you'll be green as grass!
- Promote the use of public transport to get to your museum. Give detailed directions and don't fail to mention the convenience.
- Stop accepting money from fossil fuel companies. Due diligence on all your funders: no artwashing, no greenwashing.