China | Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival 2023
From 15 December 2023 to 21 January 2024 Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival will take place in Xiamen, China. This year, the exhibitions will be held at Jimei Art Centre and Three Shadows Xiamen Photography Art Centre, as well as in galleries and art schools in Xiamen and Fuzhou as the sub-venues.
Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival introduces photography works from overseas with an inclusive and multicultural attitude. It supports and encourages the creation, researach and curation of Chinese photography to facilitate its presence in the public as well as on the international stage. Since its inception, Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival has presented nearly 300 exhibitions from China and other Asian countries, as well as a selection of outstanding works from Les Rencontres d'Arles. Over 600 artists’ works have been presented and the festival has attracted a total of 430,000 visitors.
The 9th Jimei x Arles has 32 exhibitions, featuring works by over 100 artists from France, Germany, the United States, Italy, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Bangladesh, Cambodia, and China.
- “Exhibitions from Arles,” to synchronise Chinese audience with the freshest international perspectives
- Jimei x Arles Discovery Award, aiming to discover and promote Chinese talented photographers
- Jimei x Arles Curatorial Award for Photography and Moving Image
- “Greetings from Asia,” which aims to discover the dynamic pulse of photography in the Asia region
- “China Pulse,” joins with Chinese higher art-education institutions to showcase the new force of Chinese photography
- “Crossover Photography” exhibits the clash between multimedia and diverse perspectives
- “Local Action” triggers the local growth of photography art
- “Space on Paper – Jimei x Arles Book Exhibition” focuses on the development of contemporary photobooks over the past year
Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival was co-initiated by Three Shadows Photography Art Centre and Les Rencontres d'Arles in 2015, supported by Jimei District Committee of the CPC and the Government of Jimei District, and co-hosted by Three Shadows and Xiamen Tianxia Jimei Media.