The project ‘PILOTENKUECHE’ supports artists and is an international artist-run residence with an art program based in the newly remodeled HALLE 14 of the famous Spinnerei complex in Leipzig, Germany. The non-profit institution is organized by artists for artists. The team operates with a transdisciplinary background between art, theory & diverse sciences. The goal is to provide artists a base to work on and wishes to be an opportunity to get in contact with the local art scene. The program invites selected artists from around the world to come and work in the common used space for an individual period of 3-5 month or longer. Up to eight artists each get a partial stipend by the project and work on an individual or collaborative project during a three-to-five months period working in their own area within the 243m² communal loft hall. The studio will turn into the exhibition space during our program events. The communal working space can be used 24-hours a day. Selected artists will receive all documentation necessary to apply for funding and the visa process. The program is always looking for artists. We will be accepting applications any time, there’s no deadline. Arrangements will be made than together.
The PILOTENKUECHE philosophy is focused on an interest of exchange by group dynamic, experimental strategies and transdisciplinary exchange. The kinetic dialogue in between the group of artists influences each to go experimental ways about art, its ideas, approaches and methods. PILOTENKUECHE wishes to provide our participants with the experience of accomplishing something as a group; and, moreover, in experimenting with new forms of cooperation vital in fostering an independent position in one’s work. This leads to an intensive dialogue about individual ideas and working practices, binding the artists individuality temporarily into the group, which leads to a longer-term network that exists even after the residency is over. During each round of the residency, the group of artists can realize and show their projects, in addition to a large-scale exhibition taking place during one of the Spinnerei Gallery Weekends in spring, autumn or winter which draws up to 15,000 visitors.
PILOTENKUECHE itself was founded 2007 by Christoph Mayer as a group studio to create exchange between German and Austrian artists. With its roots in underground and punk the project is and was no white cube or neutral space. But it changed and wishes to be a bridge between its origins and established art structures, which are based at the Spinnerei complex. It keeps its roots to create alternative processes and experimental thinking about art, philosophy and social relations. With DIY approaches the project aims to be a base of improving and learning skills. The project is no full service residency! It is organized by artists for artists and provides to create intercultural collaboration together.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- one furnished place (chair, table, provided tools) per artist in our 243m² large communal loft hall including wifi (provided by hall14, sufficient for e-mail) and all side costs (water, heating, energy, kitchen, toilet etc.), usage of the workshop equipment
- up to eight artists per round
- furnished commonly used kitchen with bar, fridge, microwave, oven, dishes, towels and further kitchen stuff
- costs / participation fee: 400,00 EUR (600,00 EUR total per month, per artist, 200,00 EUR covered by organization stipend = 400,00 EUR)
- deposit / caution money: 400 EUR per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable by short cancellation, payback after finishing the program correctly
- the fee covers the studio & the participation costs. Please read our “Cost Break Down” for detailed information
- travel costs, art materials & living accommodation are additional
A large artist supply shop called ‘boesner’ is based on the Spinnerei complex where you can find everthing for your work. Also close to the complex you can find a construction market called ‘toom’. For special wishes and needings we can assist with our local experience & knowledge.
- living accommodation / rooms are additional
- we offer one place in a 60m² large shared apartment for two artists close to the studio at Demmeringstr. 68, 04177 Leipzig, ground floor
- 1x fitted kitchen, 1x bathroom
- 2x furnished rooms with a bed, shelve, desk & chair each room; communal used kitchen & bathroom with basic inventory
- 2x bikes
- with wifi
- costs: 350,00 EUR per month, per artist
- deposit: 350 EUR per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable by cancel, payback after finishing the program correctly
We offer three residency periods per year, during each of which eight-to-ten artists are in residence at one time. We’re open for individual duration & schedules. The dates are:
- February – May
- June – September
- October – January
The workshop inventory can be borrowed by agreement and sign. The project expects a professional & respectful use of the tools. The use happens on own risk. Any damages have to be fixed or the tool / item has to be replaced on own costs.
- 1 x small folding ladder
- 2x middle-large folding ladders, convertible to 2x small scaffolding
- 1x DeWalt 14,4V cordless drill, with bits, drills and further equipment
- 1x BOSCH professional hammer drill 1100w, with drills and further equipment
- 1x GDR professional hammer drill 2000w, with drills and further equipment
- 1x jigsaw 800w with diverse sawblades
- 1x circular saw 1400w
- 1x electric chain saw, 2000w
- diverse saws
- 1x BOSCH random orbit sander 450w with sand papers
- 1x MAKITA belt sander 1010w with belt sand papers
- 1x BOSCH angle grinder, with grinding wheels
- 1x electrode welding machine
- 1x 2m bubble level
- 1x 1m bubble level
- 1x 70cm bubble level
- 1x 20cm bubble level
- 2x staple guns
- 1x small easel
- 1x studio easel
- diverse glue guns
- diverse solderings
- professional chisels
- diverse mason equipment
- diverse hammers & srewdrivers
- basic equipment like ordinary hammer, screw driver, pliers, cutter
- diverse artist stuff like paint, pens, paper left by former artists (if available)
- selected artists participate in our events & exhibitions:
– artist talks ‘TALK TALK TALK’. Each artist of the project talks about his/her position
– preview exhibition / open studio ‘INTERVIEW’. The artists present their first works in a small group show / open studio.
– final exhibition during the Spinnerei Gallery Weekend in January, May or September
- disciplines: activism, architecture, conceptual, design, digital, drawing, film, installation, intervention, mixed media, technology, intermedia, literature, painting, performance, photography, printmaking, sculpture, sound, video or other disciplines of arts
- language: English / German
- please read our “Cost Break Down” for detailed information
- individual consultations by agreement with curatorial advice and critics
- assistance with visa process, funding / scholarship applications, artistic / theoretical / logistical questions, questions around the daily life by agreement
- curation, event & exhibition organization for the final exhibition
- web-, graphic-, & advertising / press design, its production & release for the project (roundmails to up to 1000 subscribers, posts to up to 2200 facebook followers & friends)
- documentation of the project
- ‘Welcome to Leipzig’ letter & guide
- general administration, organization & coordination of the project
- some of these services are done in home office when the team is not present in the studio
the project and its team are no individual project managers for the artist
the project and its team are not obliged to find a gallery for the artist
please clarify expectations in advance. The project and its team are not obliged to fulfill any expectations. Please contact us about any uncertainties and questions.
on extra charge by agreement or in case of exception
- additional assistance with exhibition construction, art production, transport & shipping
- individual art work documentation & reproduction
- individual web- & graphic design
- individual project management
- additional facility management (repairs, remodeling, renovating or similar) & cleaning (kitchen, living space or similar)
It is fully the decision of the artist to sell or not sell his / her artworks. For any sells in the program the project ‘PILOTENKUECHE’ charges 30% commission, which will be used for non-profit purposes (equipment, studio enhancement, inventory or similar). The project will take care about the purchase contract, the entire payment process, corresponds with the buyer and assists with shipping. Please note there is 19% VAT on art sales in Germany.
You can apply any time. The application should include:
a short CV with full official address
an artist statement
representative number of examples of your work and (if existing) a link to your website
We offer three residency periods per year, but we’re open for any individual duration & schedules:
- February – May
- June – September
- October – January
- individual schedule
You can apply any time. Send us a mail to email@example.com with use of our Application Form or use this page on our website.
After receiving the invitation the artist need to pay the deposit(s) to hold his / her place in the program within 14 days. The deposit is not refundable in case of short cancellation. Cancellations have to be announced to the project three months before starting the residence. The deposit will be payed back after finishing the program correctly, without damages or causing additional costs.
Funding & Visa
The project ‘PILOTENKUECHE’ will assist the applicant with all documents & individual recommendation letters (if required and by agreement) and visa aid to receive financial support. Please have a look to our funding page or download our funding guide.
The Leipzig / Halle airport is the most comfortable way to reach us. From there a taxi to the Spinnerei costs around 30 €. A cheaper way is to take the train to Leipzig HBF. A taxi from there costs around 12 €. Another option – and the most cheapest one – is to take the Tram 15 (Direction Miltitz, 20 min.), get out at ‘Lindenauer Busbahnhof’. Tram 14 (Direction Plagwitz, 15min.) is also possible, get out at ‘Plagwitz Bahnhof’. The Spinnerei complex is close to both stations. We advice our arriving residents to use or to print a map in advance. At the complex we are based in hall 14, entrance C, first floor. We offer our participants to pick them up on the complex.