The Philippine National Library is a service oriented institution funded by the Philippine government, with various Filipiniana collections that includes rare books, historical documents and books authored by Filipinos.
- To acquire and preserve Filipiniana materials;
- To provide for an efficient on-line access to the different information resources and national bibliographic services of the National Library and the Philippine eLib;
- To develop, in cooperation with the local government units, a system of public libraries and information centers throughout the country;
- To promote, establish and maintain national and international standards in library and information services;
- To conduct continuing research on Philippine librarianship and undertake cultural activities.
The full intellectual and cultural development of the Filipino people through love for reading all forms of library materials, the lessons and insights of which, enable and empower them to adapt to global technological changes.
The National Library of the Philippines as the repository of the printed and recorded cultural heritage of the country and other intellectual literary and information sources shall provide access to these resources for our people’s intellectual growth, citizenship building, life-long learning and enlightenment.