Applications are open for the 11th Japan International MANGA Award. Entries from MANGA artists from around the world are invited. Printed works must be submitted, either to the organisers in Japan or to the local Japanese embassy or consulate, to arrive by June 16th latest.
Guidelines for Application
To spread MANGA culture overseas and promote international cultural exchanges through MANGA.
(1) The Gold Award of the Eleventh Japan International MANGA Award will be given to the best MANGA work and the Silver Award to three other excellent works.
(2) The Gold Award and the Silver Award winners will be invited to Japan on the occasion of the award ceremony for around 10 days as a supplementary prize (the fine work winners are not entitled).
3. Conditions of Entry
(1) Eligible MANGA works need to be composed of more than 16 pages. Both published and unpublished works are eligible to apply, excluding the past winning works of Japan International Manga Awards.
(2) Eligible MANGA works should be the ones which have been produced within the past three years (2014-2017) from the date of application.
(3) Eligible MANGA works must be submitted in printed form. (Submission of data might be required later on.)
(4) Overseas publishing companies can apply to the Eleventh Japan International MANGA Award, upon confirmation from the MANGA artists of submitting their work.
(5) Either the comic artist or story writer of the submitted work has to be a foreign national. Also the representative who will participate in the invitation program given to the Gold / Silver Award winners must be a foreign national.
(6) Only one work may be submitted per applicant.
Only one work may be accepted under one title (or series).
In case that a collection of short stories is to be applied, only one story will be accepted for examination.
Duplicate entries will be invalid.
(7) For the purpose of publicity, the MANGA Award Executive Committee may upload the winner’s MANGA works (partially) on its website upon obtaining approval from the artists.
4. How to Apply
(1) Application Period：March 17th 2017 – June 16th 2017 (entries must arrive by this date)
(2) Applications should be sent to either i) or ii) below.
i) Japanese Embassies or Consulates General (Check online for each address.)
MBE15 The Eleventh Japan International MANGA Award Executive Committee
B1F Yuraku-cho bldg.
1-10-1 Yuraku-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, JAPAN
(3) Two copies of your work must be submitted.
(Additional copies may be requested for works being considered for an award.)
See website for application form
Last year at the 10th Japan International MANGA Award, among 296 entries from 55 countries and regions, 14 works were selected this year, including one Gold Award work and three Silver Award works. The Gold Award went to: The Master of Arms (Belgium)
Artist : Joël Parnotte (France)
Story Writer : Xavier Dorison (France)
Image: from The Master of Arms