Venice | Biennale College - Theatre 2016
Biennale College is a project aimed at training young artists, conducted by the Dance, Music, Theatre and Cinema sectors of the Biennale di Venezia. Applications are invited for masterclass workshops to be held 25 July - 14 August.
To encourage young talents, offering them the opportunity to work side by side with the masters to develop “creations”: this is the spirit of the Biennale College, a well-fitted bridge that allows young people who wish to engage in one of the arts to do so under the finest conditions that an international institution can offer.
Following the experience of the International Theatre Workshop, the Theatre section presents the new project by Àlex Rigola which will involve those applicants that the artistic Director of the Theatre Sector of the Biennale considers, at his own discretion and in agreement with the Masters conducting the various workshops, to respond to the goals of each of the workshop experiences described below and the requirements for each of them, an integral part of his 2016 artistic project.
The Biennale College –Theatre project is oriented again this year towards the spirit of a scientific laboratory: a place of inquiry and dialogue. La Biennale, as a space open permanently to discussion and experimentation, wishes to present itself as an opportunity for artists, scholars, spectators, theatre lovers. A veritable factory of ideas to explore the potential of theatre: languages, codes, techniques and technology, the theatre sciences, all provide the guidelines for a systematic evaluation, led by masters and experts from all over the world.
- The workshops of the Biennale College – Theatre 2016
The programme requires participants to attend the workshops in the morning and through the early afternoon, the meetings with the Masters of the College in the late afternoon, and in the evening the performances presented at the 2016 Theatre Biennale and the open-doors events of the companies-in-residence and of the workshops underway at the time.
The deadline for submission of applications is June 5th, 2016.
Brief info on the workshops programme (see website for full details):
- BARO D’EVEL CIRK CIEDates: 26 July – 1 AugustLanguage: French / Spanish / ItalianFor: This workshop is intended for multifaceted professionals who engage in a practice of the body (dance/circus/theatre/music)Participants: 15 active participants / 5 auditors
- ROGER BERNATDates: 25 - 31 July 2016Language: Italian / SpanishFor: anyone interested in the projectParticipants: 15 active / 5 auditors
- ANNE BOGARTDates: 1 – 7 August 2016Language: English (The workshop will be led predominantly in English but other languages can be spoken on stage)For: twelve actors and three directors. All fifteen participants should have a particular interest or background in movement or dance.Participants: 15 active / 5 auditors
- ROMEO CASTELLUCCIDates: 1 – 3 August 2016Language: ItalianFor: directors (under 38)Participants: 15 active / 5 auditors
- MARTIN CRIMPDates: 26 – 29 July 2016Language: English (spoken at a satisfactory level)For: dramaturges/playwrights
Participants: (15 active / 5 auditors)
- WILLEM DAFOEDates: 8-11 August 2016Language: English (Satisfactory level)For: ActorsParticipants: 15 active + 5 auditors
- DECLAN DONNELLANDates: 6 - 14 August 20166 -7 August: 2 days of rehearsal among the Participants to learn, prepare and rehearse (in pairs) scenes no more than 3 minutes long from Macbeth8 - 14 August: workshop with the MaestroLanguage: English / Italian (an excellent level of English is not required)For: young, professional, classical actors who are either in training or have recently completed training
Participants: (20 active)
- CHRISTIANE JATAHYDates: 7-9 August 2016Language: Portuguese / ItalianFor: directors or actors interested in the experience of being a directorParticipants: 14 active / 6 auditors
- STEFAN KAEGIDates: 30 July – 5 August 2016Language: EnglishFor: directors, writers, researchers, architects, multimedia artists, playwrights, stage designer, artists, journalists and performers (It isn’t a technical acting workshop)Participants: 15 active / 5 auditors
- JAN KLATADates: 4 - 10 August 2016Language: English / ItalianFor: actors and performers primarily, directors not excludedParticipants: 15 active / 5 auditors
- OSKARAS KORŠUNOVASDates: 1 – 7 August 2016Language: Lithuanian / ItalianFor: actorsParticipants: 15 active and 5 auditors
- FABRICE MURGIADates: 8-14 August 2016Language: EnglishFor: ActorsParticipants: 15 actors + 5 auditors
- ANNA PÉREZ PAGÈS / ANDREA PORCHEDDU / ROBERTA FERRARESIDates: 30 July - 14 August 2016Language: Italian / SpanishFor: 4 under-30 journalists / bloggers / videomakers /community managers who wish to work with communication and theatre by giving coverage to the Biennale Theatre College 2016 + 1 editor/blogger under 35, who has worked for at least 2 years for blogs, websites, printed newspapers or magazines in the theatre, performance, or live performance sector.
- PASCAL RAMBERTDates: 25 – 31 July 2016Language: French / EnglishFor: Performers + playwrights and actorsParticipants: 15 active and 5 auditors
- MARK RAVENHILLDates: 10-14 August 2016Language: EnglishFor: The participants should be working playwrights, with at least one piece already produced by a theatre. They will need to work in English, with English language at the level B.2 as defined in The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.Participants: 15 active participants + 5 auditors
- SIMON STEPHENSDates: 1-5 August 2016Language: EnglishFor: PlaywrightsParticipants: 15 active and 5 auditors
- EVA-MARIA VOIGTLÄNDERDates: 6 - 9 August
Language: German / Italian
For: Directors, playwrights, dramaturges, set designers
Participants: 15 active and 5 auditors