Animation Artist in Residence Tokyo 2016 | open call
Call for applications for the JAPIC Animation Artist in Residence Tokyo 2016 programme. This project, organized by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, Government of Japan (Bunka-cho), is an artist in residence program that provides three outstanding young animation artists from around the world with an opportunity to come to Tokyo and create new works while directly interacting with Japanese animation culture. It aims to promote both the creation of excellent works of animation and a better understanding of Japanese culture.
Field: Animation production
Number of applicants to be selected: 3
Programme dates: 70 days between January 7th and March 17th, 2016
Deadline for applications: 10 September 2015
- Travel expenses
- Living allowance
- Travel insurance
- Rental accommodation (including workspace)
- Location: Tokyo
- Expert assistance
- Opportunity to present work done during residency
- Opportunities to interact with Japanese creators
- Education/training: participants will give reports on the progress of their work being created as part of the program and will receive guidance from accomplished Japanese animators/experts on a regular basis.
- Visits/exchange events: participants will visit animation studios and participate in exchange events with artists and students enrolled in art programs at educational institutions.
- Creation of a new work: participants will begin a new work while in Japan and present the finished work or one part of a work in progress at the end of their stay.
- Reside outside of Japan and be a citizen of a country other than Japan.
- Have had one of their animated works screened at an international film festival, exhibition or similar event where works from countries other than their own were also screened/featured.
- Be between the ages of 20 and 35 as of September 10th, 2015.
- Be able to speak either English or Japanese at least well enough to communicate in everyday situations.
- Be in good health.
- Have access to the equipment necessary to participate in a remote interview (i.e. a computer capable of connecting to the internet and using Skype).
See website for all the other conditions and how to apply