The first UK/ID Festival
! a series of events and performances by some of the best young creative minds from the UK and Indonesia, 18 Oct - 10 Dec 2016. Events are taking place in Indonesia: Bandung, Jakarta, Solo, Ubud, Surabaya and Medan.
The programme includes:
- In Bandung and Surabaya, Glasgow based artist Robbie Thomson brings a thrilling blend of eclectic high-tech musical and visual experience to Indonesia for the first time in his work XFRMR.
- Fashion Futures at Jakarta Fashion Week looks into the future possibilities of the fashion industry through discussions on sustainability and collaborative product of young Indonesian and British designers.
- Scottish poetry collective Neu! Reekie! are performing their curated work for the first time in Indonesia at the Ubud Writers Festival in Bali. They will also perform in Medan.
is a programme of interventions organised by the British Council. Indonesia and the UK are two hugely creative countries. Yet there is currently very little cultural exchange between them, despite there being a vast amount to gain from getting to know each other.
THE TWO PRINCIPAL AIMS ARE:
- to build new relationships between artists, producers, curators and organisations in the UK and Indonesia
- to use these relationships to see new showcases of UK creativity in Indonesia, of Indonesian creativity in the UK, and of international collaboration in both countries.
UK/Indonesia 2016-18 will work across the full spectrum of arts and creative industries, but there’ll be some main priorities and key recurring themes, including: digital culture, music, fashion and independent film.