Malta | Valletta Cultural Agency call for street art installations
The Valletta Cultural Agency is inviting artists to submit one or more artistic proposals for street installations, which will be displayed in South Street, Valletta for four months, during the 2023 cultural programme.
This call aims to celebrate the power of art in public places, transforming the streets into a fun and colourful artistic installation, through works of art that harmoniously blend with urban environments open to passers-by. Two installations will be selected.
- The first installation must be installed by the 3 March 2023
- The second installation must be installed by the 3 November 2023 (this proposal must create a warm end-of-the year feeling of festivity and hospitality)
Proposals should be:
- Colourful and/or impactful and attractive, both during the day and at night
- Inspired by Valletta
- Sturdy enough to be on display for 4 months and can withstand weather conditions
- Installed overhead, allowing people to safely walk underneath while not obstructing narrow streets
- Physical, not digital (designs which include a multi-sensory effect will be considered a plus)
- Environmentally conscious in their implementation, including in the choice of materials.
- Irreversible interventions in the street or the building facades, including installing nails or bolts, are strictly prohibited.
Support for the selected artists
The Agency is allocating up to 14,000 EUR, inclusive of VAT, for each selected project, including:
- Artist/s fees
- Procurement of materials
- Transportation, labour and installation costs (including high up trucks)
- Technical equipment such as lighting
- Accommodation and travel for international artists, if required.
- Other production costs including freight, any licensing fee
Deadline (first installation): 7 January 2023
Deadline (second installation): 20 March 2023