22 Jul 2016
Hong Kong | M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship
The M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme supports an original research project investigating issues relating to design and architecture in the Greater Pearl River Delta region, and between the region and other parts of the world. In addition to expanding the current body of knowledge in these areas, the findings from the fellowship will inform future acquisitions and other programmes at M+.
Applicants should engage in advanced research on historical or contemporary topics relating to either a single discipline (such as architecture, graphic design, industrial design, and urbanism) or cross-disciplinary developments, taking into consideration the region’s cultural, social, economic, and political milieus as well as its international and cross-cultural networks. Although post-1949 topics are preferred, exceptional proposals focusing on issues related to the beginning of the twentieth century will also be considered.
The successful applicant will be attached to M+ for three to six months in 2017, conducting independent research, preferably on a full-time basis. The fellow is encouraged to engage in intellectual exchanges with the museum’s curatorial staff and participate in its programmes. While outcomes may vary, the fellowship should at minimum result in 1) a paper (5,000 words or more) disseminated digitally or in print through M+ and Design Trust’s platforms and 2) a lecture as part of the museum’s public programme.
Applications are welcome from individuals of all nationalities whose areas of research are in design, architecture, or a related field. The provision of the fellowship, however, depends on whether the fellow can obtain a visa for Hong Kong.
Applicants should either hold a post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline or an undergraduate degree with minimum three years relevant professional work or academic research experience. Proficiency in spoken and written English is also required.
The M+ / Design Trust Research Fellow will receive a lump-sum stipend of up to $40,000 HKD per month for three to six months to cover research-related and living costs. (The monthly stipend may be prorated for a part-time fellow, depending on individual circumstances.) An overseas fellow may request a one-time travel subsidy of up to $10,000 HKD, covering transportation to and from the place of origin and Hong Kong.
The following criteria are taken into account when assessing each application:
- Originality in expanding and reinterpreting existing knowledge, or producing new knowledge, of design and architecture in the Greater Pearl River Delta region, within a regional and global context
- Potential for expanding the understanding and scope of the museum’s current and future collections, programming, and curatorial strategies in design and architecture
- Proven ability of the candidate in undertaking advanced research
How to Apply
Applicants are required to provide:
- A completed application form
- A full curriculum vitae covering education, professional experience, honours, awards, and publications
- Two letters of recommendation (academic or professional), submitted directly from the referees
- Three to five pieces of relevant written work, published or unpublished
The deadline for submitting the application is 22 July 2016.
09 Jun 2015
03 Jun 2014
06 Sep 2021
01 Sep 2015
03 Aug 2020
15 Nov 2012