Ministry for Justice, Culture and Local Government (Malta)
The Directorate's main responsibilities are as follows:
- provision of policy, direction and advice on the arts, heritage, and audiovisuals;
- management of two programmes related to culture, arts and the creative industries, namely the Culture Card and the Cinema Digitisation Scheme;
- preparation of contributions for public debate and discussion;
- liaising with the relevant entities and stakeholders on all matters related to Malta’s cultural and creative sectors;
- preparation works for two capital projects, namely the Valletta Design Cluster and the Grand Salon for Costume, Fashion and Film.
Apart from the Policy-determined functions listed above, the Directorate hosts the contact point for the Creative Europe Programme. Other public cultural initiatives include Heritage Malta, Restoration Directorate, and The Superintendence of Cultural Heritage.